Friday, January 16, 2009

The Adventure Begins

After the comments and help you all gave me, as well as talking to people in the field, I finally came to the decision to work on an Accounting degree. I'm going to start out at CNM since I attended it's previous incarnation (TVI) several years ago and my credits are still good. They only offer an AAS Degree, but it's transferable should I want to continue on to get a BS. I'm admitted, and registered. The classes actually started this past Monday (12th), but registration was available until the 20th and the next semester wouldn't start until May so I jumped on it. I decided to heed my friend's warning and take two classes. One of them is on-campus and the other one is via distance learning. The advantage is that the distance learning is a "blended" course in which most of it is online, but there is an on-campus session that goes along with it. Now I just need to pay for the classes and figure out what books I need. It's so weird being back in school. I used to know this stuff backwards when I was just out of high school and now I have no clue. Wish me luck :P

5 comments:

  1. WOOT! WOOT! You'll love it. Either way good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Future accountant... I have to laugh a little, too.

    It's my second semester back, but it still feels weird. It just hit me on Thursday that I could actually take Institute if I wanted (even though I'm a year too old for the "target audience"). BYU didn't have Institute, so I hadn't even thought about it until one of my classmates mentioned taking a class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister is a CPA and often comments that my father (a retired CPA) tried talking her out of the profession. I find it interesting that it was my father who suggested that I look at Accounting/Bookkeeping. He had mentioned that with a father as a CPA that maybe I had inherited the ability to do well in it. I laughed and told him that I doubted that Accounting was genetic. Then my sister (the current CPA) mentioned later that it might not be such a far-fetched idea. Another of my sisters had considered it as a profession as well. Gives new meaning to the concept of family business ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny. My husband's family has being teachers in the genes. Both his parents, himself, and two of his sisters are or have been teachers. I guess I married into the right family because my dad always just wanted to be a German teacher, but got an MBA because he realized it would take money to have the big family he wanted, and there's usually more money in finance than education, and my dad's sister is a high school teacher. Heck, I went back to school partly because I want to teach college someday when the kids are grown.

    So good luck to you with the accounting. There's definitely need for it, and money in it... and you're computer literate, which is a great start, I bet.

    ReplyDelete