Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mansfield Park

What can I say? I really hate the Crawfords. The brother is the typical playboy who doesn't take life seriously (which is why he fits well with the Tom the oldest Bertram at first). The sister is the biggest spoiled brat that ever walked through the UK. The most disturbing part of the story is that they make you think that Mr. Crawford is pulling a Mr. Darcy if you're even slightly familiar with Pride and Prejudice (though if you've just read it then you'll see vast differences that make it impossible). I think that I wasn't fooled because I've seen a film version and remembered enough about it to know better... and I just read P&P. Second in my disgust would be Miss Bertram who reminds me a great deal of Lydia in character multiplied to the 10th degree. I think that I liked this book for the main characters who may not have been perfect but were infinately more preferable in comparison to the rest of the characters with their over the top flaws. While that doesn't highly recommend the book, it is a good story none-the-less. I would give this one a 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment