Monday, July 26, 2004

7/26/04

Just wanted to send out a quick note to everyone letting you know what's been going on in our lives. As mentioned in our last email Dan and I have both been seeing the doctor to try and discover the possible causes of medical conditions. Dan for his diarrhea and headaches and me for my dizziness, tingling fingers, and irregular menstral cycle. Dan's pretty much gotten the diarrhea under control and the headaches will be an on-going investigation it seems. The migraines have almost stopped, but he's been having headaches almost constantly and they will get pretty bad at times. While determining the possible causes of the diarrhea we found that Dan's family has a genetic flaw that can lead to high triglyceride counts. At the initial testing 3 months ago his counts was at 668 (normal is below 150). The doctor prescribed a daily medication (a generic lipotor) as well as a change in diet. We chose the South Beach Diet over the Atkins diet which were the two options the doctor gave us. Three months later (although the tests were actually performed about 3 weeks ago) he came in for a check up. Dan's triglyceride count dropped over 500 and his weight has dropped a little over 30 lbs. There was one number the doctor read (though I can't remember which one it was) at 101 where normal was below 100, but the HDL levels were high enough to cancel that out. I'm so proud of him.

I on the other hand seem to be in good health dispite my problems. The doctor had me go for an ultrasound to see if there were any ovarian cysts that could be causing the female problems. The ultrasound did show something, but nothing of a life-threatening nature and nothing that truly worth treating. Whether it is the cause or not, it seems to be something to just live with. As for the dizziness and tingling fingers... that seems to be from mild dehydration causing imbalance with my blood pressure. From sitting on the examination table to standing my blood pressure dropped 10 points. The only thing I can do about it would be more fluids.

So there you have it. Good news all around on this end. On top of that, Daniel and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on Saturday by going out to dinner at the Mexican restaurant down the street and going to see a movie. If any of you are ever passing through we'll take you to the restaurant. I'd almost say it's as good as Gardunios, but then again I haven't eaten at Gardunios in a while so I can't really judge.

Love to you all, Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment